Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Ear lump with puss discharge

Ear lump with puss discharge

Patient: I had this lump where my earlobe meets my face and I squeezed it gently and all this puss like stuff came out. Not sure what to make of it but the lump was gone and I was happy. Until the next day. It grew and it’s painful. It’s about an inch long now. What should I do? I have antibiotics, would that help?


Doctor: It is most probable that the ear lump would have been caused by folliculitis. This is caused by inflammation of the hair r follicles when the pores get blocked. I would advise that you start antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve the pain and swelling.


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts