Ear lump with puss discharge

Patient

Q: I had this lump where my earlobe meets my face and I squeezed it gently and all this puss like stuff came out. Not sure what to make of it but the lump was gone and I was happy. Until the next day. It grew and it's painful. It's about an inch long now. What should I do? I have antibiotics, would that help?

Doctor

A:   It is most probable that the ear lump would have been caused by folliculitis. This is caused by inflammation of the hair follicles when the pores get blocked. I would advise that you start antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve the pain and swelling.