x
196 Physicians Online

Question:

Ear Nose and Throat infection

Hello. I am having some trouble with an illness and need some advice on what to do next. I am not a fan of my doctors office as they are all pill pushers (and cant change venue due to insurance restrictions) so I am trying to avoid having to go unless its necessary. I have what seems to be strep throat (white splotches on swollen tonsils- only on tonsils), and have been treating it with over the counter meds. Recently my lower back has started to hurt in the kidney area and am not sure if they are related. Also, I have coughed up a little blood in my phlegm (twice so far in last week but not much), and I popped my right ear, which started to bleed (again not much, but painful aches). I am sure these are all connected to my illness, but am looking to see if there are any at home remedies to help this. If it is recommended that I see my physician, I will. I just dont want to be put on meds that I dont need. My mother is a nurse, so please dont think I hate doctors. Im just not fond of the lack of care that my doctor seems to have. So far, I have tried sudafed sore throat, lozenges, and chamomile tea to help relieve the throat pain, but nothing is working. Thanks for your time and help!

Answer:

I understand how concerned you are about your symptoms. After reading carefully your description of the syndrome, in my opinion, I agree with you that your sore throat might be related to your ear symptoms and possibly to your lower back pain.
The medications that you are taking are just symptomatic and would not take care of the bacterial Infection that you apparently have, White pots on the back of your throat, phlegm, swollen tonsils and pain when swallow are very characteristic of a bacterial throat infection.
The throat is connected to the middle ear and the infection could have progressed to your ears. I would definitely suggest you to consult your physician immediately to rule out a possible bacterial infection and start the right antibiotics as soon as possible. Usually azythromycin or erythromycin would cover all the most common pathogens. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA