Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Early Menopause Family Hsitory

Early Menopause Family Hsitory

Patient: I’m 29 and over the past year my periods have become irregular. I had an exam and pap which was normal. While my mother went through menopause around age 50, she had a first cousin that experienced early menopause. Does that increase my chance of experiencing early menopause?

Doctor: Early menopause of premature ovarian failure is certainly a concern in view of your family history. Since your PAP and p hysical examination were normal, the next step would be to do a blood called an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) test. This is a good indicator of your hormone levels and a high result would strongly suggest an early menopause. I hope the information helps, take care.