Early period or incomplete implantation?

Patient

Q: We are trying to have a baby. I have a 35 day average cycle. Last month I had period like bleeding about a week early.... Around the time it should have been implantation. Could this have been a fertilized egg not implanting properly?

Doctor

The implantation bleed is usually light brown colored vaginal discharge which may be in form of spotting in most cases, few days after intercourse during the fertile period. If you have experienced bleeding like your normal cycles for 4-5 days with good flow then it is unlikely that it was a implantation bleed.
However, implantation bleed is always a retrospective diagnosis and can be confirmed only after confirmation of pregnancy. You may opt to do a blood serum beta hcg test to look for raised levels of hcg which would indicate an ongoing pregnancy.
If the levels are less than 1 then pregnancy is ruled out for sure.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you good health,
regards