Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Early period or potential pregnancy?

Early period or potential pregnancy?

Patient: I am sexually active and have had unprotected sex the last month or so frequently. I am expected to get my period today (9/15) and always have a regular cycle. Last Monday (9/8) I started having light bleeding that lasted briefly that day followed by two days of slightly heavier bleeding but not my usual menstrual cycle bleeding. Could that have been my period or could it have been something else?

Symptoms: Light bleeding, tender breasts, bloating, cramping, hard stomach, body aches, head aches, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, cold/flu

Doctor: It seems like you did have a period and you shouldn’t be worrying about the possibility of a pregnancy since you had a p eriod. However after unprotected intercourse, I can understand that you are stressed about the possibility of a pregnancy. The best thing to do would be to take a pregnancy test.