Early pregnancy and lemongrass concerns

Q: I am in very early stage of pregnancy and consumed a large amount of lemongrass tea, is there anything I can do to counteract the negative effects from the citral and myrcene?

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion.
If you have taken large amount of lemon grass tea in your early pregnancy days then there is nothing much which can be done as it is not advisable to add more medications in early pregnancy to counter the effect of the tea here. But You may continue to take 2 tabs of TAB FOLIC ACID 5mg for next 5 days , which should help in preventing any form of congenital anomalies setting in if viability is established and heart beat has been identified already. Also you may opt for TAB MICRONIZED PROGESTERONE 200mg once at night for a week to disallow any form of uterine contractions which can be initiated by the tea and reducing the chances of abortion. You may discuss the options with your physician and take an informed decision.
The reason why it is better to avoid lemongrass tea when you are pregnant is because it can stimulate contractions in the uterus which may cause a miscarriage. There is still much left unstudied as towards how lemongrass tea can affect the developing fetus, so as a general rule it is better to be safe rather than take the risk. Pregnant women that suffer from low blood pressure should definitely avoid lemon grass tea since one of its properties is to decrease blood pressure.
I hope i have answered your query,
wishing you safe pregnancy,