Early Pregnancy Detection

Patient

Q: I suspect that I might be pregnant. I had sex on Sunday and Monday of this week, and I took a test and it came out negative. How soon will regular in store pregnancy tests be able to detect it and how early would a blood test be accurate. Also I stopped taking birth control about a 3 weeks to a month ago so im not exactly sure when my period is supposed to come. Its making it very difficult for me to know when to test. I felt ovulation pain on about Saturday as well if that is helpful. Could you help me?

Symptoms:  Small cramps, tender breasts, spotting, frequent urination
Doctor

A:   Hello.
thanks for the query.
The best way to confirm pregnancy is however after 7 days of missed period with a urine pregnancy kit.
Also it can be tested by getting a serum beta hcg levels in the last week of menses to look for raised levels more than 1% which indicates fetal tissue secreting it.

However ..the symptoms you are getting could possibly be PMS if preg is ruled out .

I hope i have answered your query in detIl.
wishing you good health.
regards.