Early Signs of Pregnancy

Q: I missed my period. I think I may be pregnant for the first time, what are the early symptoms of pregnancy and when do they start to appear?

A:   There are many early signs and symptoms of pregnancy.  However, pregnancy symptoms may vary from one woman to another.  Some woman may have a few symptoms while others have many and some may even have no symptoms.   In fact, your own symptoms may actually be different from one pregnancy to another.
Once conception has happened it is not until about a week for the fertilized egg to implant in the uterus. It is at this point that symptoms may begin.   During this time the hormone levels will change in a pregnant woman which will start to cause the symptoms of pregnancy.
One of the most significant pregnancy symptoms is a delayed or missed menstrual cycle.  This is how most woman will find out that they are pregnant.  Also some woman might notice spotting and bleeding as a symptom about one week after conception.   Another symptom that is also related hormonally is breast tenderness.  The breasts become very tender, swollen, and even sore. Many notice this more at bedtime when you are trying to get comfortable and go to sleep, when exercising or showering, or when getting dressed.
Fatigue can start as early as 1-2 weeks after conception.  Extreme tiredness is normal while doing your daily activities such as eating, getting dressed or just even watching TV or reading.  A symptom related to tiredness is lightheadedness and/or dizziness.  This can be related to changes in blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
There may also be strong cravings for particular foods.  Again some woman may have some strong food cravings and some have an aversion to certain foods that they liked before they were pregnant.  Certain smells and aromas may even get to some woman when they are pregnant. This often leads to a very common symptom of pregnancy which is nausea and vomiting.  For some woman it may start anywhere from two to eight weeks of pregnancy. The nausea and vomiting may occur only for one part of the day, usually the morning, or can also occur at different parts of the day without any regular patterns.
Change in libido is often a symptom most women experience.  most women report an increase in Libido.
These are some of the main symptoms of early pregnancy.  Many of these signs and symptoms can also be the caused by other medical conditions.
It is important that a pregnancy test must be taken followed by an appointment with your family doctor for the confirmation of pregnancy.