Eczema flare-up

Patient

Q: I had a couple of very bad eczema breakouts in the past couple of months, and I am in the midst of one now. The connection between the two outbreaks that I could pinpoint are that I ate graham crackers within 48 hours of each outbreak (which I normally do not eat at all). I read up on gluten intolerance and believe this may be the cause as it would explain the severe abdominal bloating and gas I've also been experiencing lately. I plan on scheduling an appointment to be tested for this, but in the meantime, I purchased this ointment which is supposed to help the eczema flareup on my feet which has been very bad. The problem is that it contains Wheat Germ Oil. Sites are stating different things that topical ointments containing gluten (unless those with a risk of being ingested) don't matter for people with gluten sensitivities and then other sites say that it does matter and you shouldn't use them. Assuming that I DO have a gluten sensitivity, would it be safe for me to use this ointment on feet or should I avoid it?

Doctor

A:   It is important if you are gluten intolerant to be diagnosed and treated for this condition, known as celiac disease. Diagnosis of celiac disease is based on relevant clinical symptoms and positive laboratory investigations. These laboratory investigations usually include Immunoglobulin A (IgA) antitissue transglutaminase antibodies and IgA antiendomysial antibodies which are highly sensitive and specific in diagnosing celiac disease. The presence of circulating celiac-disease-associated antibodies at time of diagnosis and their normalization after a gluten-free diet support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Emollient based creams are usually the mainstay of treatment in eczema, but if you are having recurrent flare-up of symptoms, topical or systemic steroids may be required, and referral to a dermatologist may be necessary.