Effect of amoeba on pregnant woman

Patient

Q: Can amoeba affect the fetus inside my womb?i am 3month pregnant this feb.19, and i have this stomach upset since sunday last week.thanx

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Parasitic infections can indeed infect your growing fetus. The decision to treat your infection with antiparasitic medication is determined based on the risk of treatment versus the benefits in protection of your pregnancy. In general, antiparasitic medications do not pose any severe risk to a growing fetus, however this must carefully be considered before commencing treatment. What is important is that you follow up with your doctor to make sure you are definitively diagnosed with amoebiasis by providing a stool sample. If diagnosed, then treatment options will be considered which is safest for your growing fetus.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com