Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Effect of weight and smoking on Single kidney

Effect of weight and smoking on Single kidney

Patient: I had a radical nephrectomy on sept,20009.The left one was removed due to chronic kidney stones.My dr.found out that my left kidney was only 10 percent functional an that the right one was already doing all the work.Before the surgery i weighd 145 lbs.Since then i have gained about 40lbs,i smoke but in the process off trying to stop.My question for you is how is the smoking and weight effecting the kidney that i have left?

Doctor: While humans can survive on one kidney it is necessary to remember that now that kideny is working overtime. Thus the sm allest tigger can affect it. While weight does not have any direct impact on yoru kidney smoking has been shown to be linked to certain kidney cancers as well as shown to accelerate chronic kidney failure. Moreover both weight and smoking can increase your chances and risk of Diabetes, hypertension and artheroscelosis which will ultimately affect the kidney in the long run. Thus please try and incorporate a health lifestyle, try and exerciseat least 30 mins a day for 4-5 days a week , the exercise should be a cardio work out or just simple brisk walking, also try and eat healthy and decrease your smoking. All the best.