Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Effectiveness Of Taking Plan B Twice

Effectiveness Of Taking Plan B Twice

Patient: I had unprotected sex on Wednesday of last week, but he withdrew before he finished. After, I realized that it was within the window of my ovulation, and I took plan b. I had sex again 2 days later, and the condom broke but he again withdrew before ejaculation. It has been 4 days since the last incident, but a week since the first incident in which I took plan b. Should I take plan b again? How likely is it that I will get pregnant with or without taking the plan b again? I may have taken it before I started ovulating, but I’m not sure.

Doctor: Hello, I realize your worry about when to take Plan B.  It has been 4 days since you had unprotected sex, Plan B might n not be as effective as during the first 72hours post conception but since you took it 48 hours before having sex again, you might still have had high concentrations of the hormone in your body that may have protected you.A week has passed since your first sexual encounter  and 4 or maybe 5 days since the last one, there would not be a difference if you take Plan B again or not, and also since there was no ejaculation inside the probabilities of pregnancy decreases too.Certainly the only way to be sure is to wait until your menses to occur. Plan b should not be taken as a regular contraceptive method, this pill has a very high concentration of Synthetic Progesterone that could alter your cycles and cause other side effects. If you would like to protect yourself from unwanted future pregnancies, I would suggest you to consult your health care provider for more information about contraceptives and he or she would kindly explain them to you and suggest you a good choice. I wish you the best.