Effects of alcohol in recent weight loss after tonsillectomy

Q: Would losing 15 pounds following tonsillectomy cause a higher level of intoxication than normal from alcohol intake?

A:   To better understand the effects of alcohol on the human body, we need to understand how it is metabolized in the body. After alcohol is consumed, it is absorbed for the stomach and intestines and transferred to various parts of the body via the blood.
Alcohol is detoxified and removed from the blood by a process of oxidation which takes place in the liver. Until all the blood is metabolized in the liver, it continues to circulate throughout the body affecting the brain and other organs. Though a minuscule amount of alcohol is excreted in the breath and urine, the main organ responsible for the elimination of alcohol is the liver. Alcohol is metabolized in the liver slower than it is absorbed since the liver can only metabolize a certain amount of alcohol per hour.
Thus the rate of intoxication does not usually depend on the body mass but rater on how fast the liver metabolizes alcohol, which is different from person to person. Therefore the levels of alcohol needed to cause intoxication in a thin person with a healthy liver would definitely be greater than a heavier person with a poor functioning liver. Also other factors that influence the absorption and metabolism of alcohol are i) Food : Alcohol is absorbed into the system 3 times slower if consumed after a meal that contains higher content of fat. ii) Gender : Women have smaller amount of body water and alcohol specific digestive enzymes in the stomach as compared to men thus making them more vulnerable to the toxic effects of alcohol. I hope this answers your question, take care.