Effects of antabuse

Patient

Q: I am taking antabuse/disulfirim tablets for 10 months.I am experiencing erection problems..could these be related?

Symptoms:  loss of erection
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Disulfiram does have a minor side affect of causing erectile dysfunction. We do not recommend you discontinue using this medication until you discuss what is happening with the doctor who prescribed you Disulfiram. Disulfiram is a medication that inhibits the enzyme that metabolizes alcohol in the body. It acts as a deterrent to alcohol ingestion, for when a patient on disulfiram drinks alcohol it will result in a very unpleasant flu-like feeling, similar to a severe hangover. Please consult your doctor.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com