Effects of antibiotics along with birth control pills

Patient

Q: I just finished taking my antiobiotics a week ago? So is my birth control finally effective? The antiobiotic I was taking was amoxicillin?

Doctor

A:   The effectiveness of birth control pills may be impaired by the concomitant treatment with amoxicillin or any other antibiotics. Additional method of birth control should be considered during and for at least one week beyond the last dose of the antibiotic therapy. since it has been a week now after you stopped amoxicillin, you may not require additional contraception other than your birth control pills.