x
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Effects of Coca Cola on Liver

My liver enzymes are elevated according to test. i have to go for pics.i have been drinking an excessive amount of coca cola and eating one meal a day. Would this excessive amount of coca cola have an effect on liver enzymes? the test showed i am clear on Hep A,B or C

Answer:

Yes, it would, because the sugar contained in most soft drinks is high in fructose corn syrup. Fructose is metabolized differently, behaving more like fat in regards to body weight regulation. So consuming a lot of fructose, is like consuming too much fat, contributes to weight gain, obesity and deposition of fat in the body. Elevation of the liver enzymes may be due to fatty liver, a condition of deposition of fat in the cells of the liver.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA