Effects of emergency contraceptive while being pregnant

Q: I am married with 2 kids. I have been taking Diane-35 since December 2011 for acne reasons. In Feb 2012, I took Ella - an emergency contraceptive pill. This month, I missed my period and suspecting pregnancy, did a test. It turned out positive. I stopped consuming Diane-35 soon after about 2 wks ago. I consulted a doctor 4 days ago and she confirmed that I am about 6wks pregnant. I believe the foetus had developed while I was still under these medications. Iwould like to know what are the effects on the growth and development of the foetus due to the consumption of Diane-35 and Ella, which are contraindicators in pregnancy?

A:   I do understand your concern. Though there is potential risk to the fetus when these drugs are used during pregnancy, this risk appears to be minimal and is not clearly understood. Though the use of Ella in animal studies did not cause any congenital anomaly in the fetus, it did result in early termination of pregnancy in some cases.