Effects of Pregnancyt and on Duramine

Patient

Q: Gd Morning. In february i started going on Marvelon contraceptives. I however did not manstruate during that month, and gave myself a break for 7 days off the pill. I restarted from the 8th pill yesterday. I am also using Duramine for weightloss. In the eevent of me being pregnant, what can happen to the fetus if still on these drugs?

Doctor

A:   Duromine is a medication used in helping losing weight in a limited period of time. The active ingredient is Phentermine and might cause habit.
Phentermine is chemically similar to amphetamine and increased energy levels are common amongst patients. Therefore this medication should not be taken during pregnancy and I would suggest you to stop it if you become pregnant. Taking it now won’t cause harm for future pregnancy but if you are planning to become pregnant o would suggest you to wait for 4 to 6 weeks before conceiving. I wish you the best.