x
187 Physicians Online

Question:

Effects of seizure medication on pregnancy

I missed my period for three days then stated to bleed i have some symthoms of being pg i take seizure medican and i am hoping to be pregnant please help thanks

Answer:

The use of seizure medication is associated with greater risk of fetal malformations in pregnancy. You may need to consult your doctor for management of seizure in pregnancy. Your doctor may attempt to alter the dosage of the drug, taper dosages to the lowest possible dose, attempt to withdraw the drug is there has been no seizures for 2-5 years, supplement diet with folic acid and provide genetic counselling.
In the end there is no agreement about the anatomical effects of anti-epileptic drugs on the unborn child, but a doctor will try to reduce the risk even further.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA