x
Browse
157 Physicians Online

Question:

Effetcts of Radium treatments in childhood

I had radium treatments when I was 6 weeks old for enlarged thymus gland. In the 80's they removed most of my thyroid gland for 7 tumors around it. Should i have concern about this. Im now 58 years old.

Answer:

Exposure to radiation has the potential to create a number of health problems. You seem to have already experienced one such complication of exposure. Though it possible that other tumors may develop because of your previous exposure, I doubt that you will have any further health issues related to radium exposure.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA