x
Browse
189 Physicians Online

Question:

Effetcts of Radium treatments in childhood

I had radium treatments when I was 6 weeks old for enlarged thymus gland. In the 80's they removed most of my thyroid gland for 7 tumors around it. Should i have concern about this. Im now 58 years old.

Answer:

Exposure to radiation has the potential to create a number of health problems. You seem to have already experienced one such complication of exposure. Though it possible that other tumors may develop because of your previous exposure, I doubt that you will have any further health issues related to radium exposure.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA