EGRF - What is it used for?

Patient

Q: What does a elevated eGFR indicate?The number should be 59 but is 75.

Doctor

A:   EGFR or estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate is a test to detect early kidney damage and to monitor kidney status. It is performed by ordering a creatinine test and calculating the eGFR. It is ordered to monitor those with known kidney disease and those with conditions such as diabetes and hypertension that may lead to kidney damage. Normal values are 90-120 ml/min, an eGFR below 60 ml/min suggests that some kidney damage has occurred.