Eight year old episodes of knee locking on full flexion

Q: Hi,
I Was wondering if you could give me some advice.
My 8 year old daughter has had 5 incidents of her right knee locking in full flexion in 6 weeks.
She is in absolute agony when this happens, the second time it happened I pulled it straight and felt a clunk as I did so.
When her knee releases she has no pain whatsoever, no swelling, or aching.
My gp first of all sent her for an Xray , which came back clear, then today after it happening this morning for over 5 minutes I visited my gp again, who has said that his gut feeling is that in 3 months time it will all be a distant memory and if I wanted he could refer her to a physiotherapist.
I am not a doctor and don't know what to do, I can't bare to see my daughter in this pain, and feel that her knee is very important and that I am not getting the right treatment for her from my gp.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.

Thanking you,