Elderly Healthcare Neglect

Patient : My mother will turn 81 this month. She has some major health problems but refuses to go to the doctor. What can the family do to get medical attention. Her mental health is fine.
Doctor :   I can understand some of your frustrations. The truth is there is not much you can do. If your mother is of good mental health and has the mental capacity to make decisions, she is allowed to make "poor" decisions. The only way you would be able to make decisions on her behalf is if her mental capacity deterioted (and a judge, with opinions from medical doctors, agreed with you) and you were mentioned as the power of attorney for medical decisions. I hope this helps  

Related Q&A

Q: Can I use my inhaler tonight , I just took a 20 mg prednisone. Having trouble coughing and can't cough any thing out ...

Q: If dormant can hpv be spread through French kissing and oral sex? I tested positive two years ago but have since tes...

Q: Good Morning. Last month i had colonoscopy and upper endoscopy by my GI doctor. Colonoscopy showed 6 begnin polyp...

Q: I have this horrible taste in my mouth 24/7. Everything I eat or drink tastes awful. When I awake in the morning I h...

Q: When sitting I have groin pain mostly on right side but can be both. Pain in the buttock a little . Pain can be in th...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon