Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Elective surgery on unmedicated diabetic patient

Elective surgery on unmedicated diabetic patient

Patient: Dr. Would it be advisable to perform plastic surgery, abdomiplasti, on an untreated diabetic? This was done to me with no diabetic medicine prescribed until 5 days after the operation. As such, I have now had 2 extra surgeries in 3 months to clear up infection. Needless to say, the scaring is horrible. Thank you

Doctor: Hi dear patient,firstly you need to get your diabetic status checked and i would suggest you to get it done before yo u go for surgery. my advise would be to consult your diabetologist and he would advise some tests regarding blood glucose levels and based on the results he would advise accordingly.