Patient :I experienced an electric shock from a computer by touching an open piece of metal on the inside of the unit while it was powered on. The power supply is 500 watts and is plugged into a regular outlet. I am experiencing a headache along with vision impairment. My mom seems to think I'm fine but I'm in pain and just woke up from shortness of breath. I am extremely concerned and need confirmation to receive medical attention.
Symptoms: Impaired vision, metal taste in my mouth, loss of breath, and tingling/numbness
Thank you for question. An electric shock of this nature an vary in severity and it is important to determine whether you sustained any long lasting or permanent damage from such a shock. For this reason we recommend that you undergo a complete evaluation by your doctor to be cleared of any serious effects from this shock.
Current guidelines surrounding the treatment of high voltage electrical shocks (>500 volts) requires immediate medical attention especially if you are experiencing symptoms such as headaches, numbness, tingling, paralysis, vision, hearing, or speech problems. Please see your doctor.
Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.