Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Elevated blood iron level

Elevated blood iron level

Patient: I have just had some blood work done and my total iron level was 252. My doctor is referring me to a hematologist. Should I be concerned about this?

Doctor: Normal levels of iron in the blood may vary slightly in laboratories but in general range from; Iron 60-170 mcg/dL, tota l iron binding capacity 240-450 mcg/dL, transferrin saturation: 20-50%. If your levels are higher than normal it may indicate that you have had many blood transfusions, the presence of a genetic disorder (haemochromatosis), increased destruction of red blood cells (haemolysis or haemolytic anaemia), or iron overdose. Referral to a haematologist is appropriate to establish the cause of an elevated iron level in your individual case.