195 Physicians Online


Elevated CK levels - What further tests would you recommend?

Dear Ask The Doctor:
What are the most common reasons for elevated CK levels? My CK test are etremely elevated. My doctor has check heart and kidney. What test would you recommend to assist in determining the cause?


Creatine kinase (CK) is found in the heart, brain and skeletal muscles. An elevated CK levels may indicate an injury or stress to these following structures. CK test is very non-specific and elevated levels may be seen with heart attack, inflammation of the heart muscles (myocarditis), muscular injuries, dermatomyositis and polymyositis and brain injury or stroke.
You may request your doctor to do specific isoenzyme test such as CK-MM (for muscular injury), CK-BB (for brain) and CK-MB (for cardiac injury). You have also mentioned that you are a diabetic and on insulin and metformin. There is also a probability that the diabetic medication is causing your elevated creatinine kinase levels, which needs to be evaluated by your doctor. Use of beta blockers may help during the initial stages of rise in creatine kinase levels.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

Related Answers:

I have these 4 small white dots on my right top lip. The dots are right at the side of my lip, and they are not reall...

My age is 18 i started masturbation from last year 1 year continuously ..per day 1 times ...some day no..after one ye...

I am 17 (18 in less than 2 weeks) year old male. Although I started puberty a couple of years ago I still have no pen...

Hello Doc, I am rajeev 30 year old male height 5'6 inch weight 83 kg my problem is my chest is look like breast.......

I have a small penis can you help me with this because i want it fixed

I'm having trouble with numbness all over the body even in the private area what should I do?

I've undergone gynaecomastia surgery over a year ago, but now my nipples can be hardly seen and still it is a little...

Does a refrigerator emit a toxic gas after it's life span of 15 to 16 years, and does it effect the health of human b...

I have a bad habit of masturbing by rubbing my penis against bed,,it was 18 when i realized my penis is not normal..N...

Hello, Is Azoospermia the correct diagnosis for male infertility when occasional sperm are seen on slide during a ...

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA