Elevated liver enzymes for 3 months

Q: Hello
I am a 47 year old woman who has drank wine for 20 years now i would say 12 per week. I also have Hashimotos hypothyroid. I had blood work done 3 months ago and my ggt was 100 and alt was 60 ast 45 I had it rechecked and my enzymes have barley went down. ggt 94 alt 48 and ast still 45 I only had a few drinks in these 3 months but have now stopped forever. My ultrasound said this` The liver is of normal size and echo structure no focal lesion no billary dilation. I am convinced I have cirrhosis I am having a CT scan tomorrow and I suppose the next step will be a biopsy. Please let me know your thoughts. I am worried sick and fear death.

Symptoms:  No symptoms

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Read and understood your history of wine for 20 years, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis,
I can very well understand the stress your must be going through.
The reports of the blood and ultrasound are seen.
They were done 3 months ago and GGT was 100 and ALT was 60 AST was 45.
Now are GGT 94, ALT 48 and AST still 45.

Ultrasonography is showing:
*The liver is of normal size and echo structure > This is the most important finding. The Size and Echo structure are the most important aspects on ultrasound and they are normal.
*No focal lesion > No chance of any cancer or any mass.
*No billary dilation > Means the ducts are absolutely normal.
*There is no mention of ascites, blood vessel dilatation or any other finding suggestive of any structural problem that one gets in Cirrhosis.

AST and ALT are only marginally raised ans are expected after 20 years of wine.

GGT- (gamma-glutamyl transferase) In general, an increased GGT level indicates that a person's liver is being damaged but does not specifically point to a condition that may be causing the injury. GGT can be used to screen for chronic alcohol abuse (it will be elevated in about 75% of chronic drinkers) and to monitor for alcohol use and/or abuse in people who are receiving treatment for alcoholism or alcoholic hepatitis.
Hence with your history it is expected to rise to this level.

If you are convinced in spite of the above reports only a normal CT scan of the liver will make you assure of the confirmation or ruling out the fear/phobia of Cirrhosis.

Let us see the reports and interact further, till then try to be stress-free.

Awaiting for your feedback on CT scan .
Please feel free to ask for any further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.