x
Browse
199 Physicians Online

Question:

Elevated RBC count and elevated AST /ALT

I have an elivated Red blood count and a low ACT and A??. (assume this is liver enzimes) should I worry?

Answer:

An elevated RBC count is known as polycythemia. The red blood cell signifies the number of red blood cells in a given volume of blood. The normal range is between 4.2 - 5.4 million cells/ul in women and 4.7 - 6.1 million cells/ul in men.
Increase in the RBC count is seen in polcythemia vera, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, congestive cardiac failure and pulmonary hypertension. It is also seen people living in high altitudes. Elevated levels of AST and ALT may be due to injury/inflammation of the liver by infection or cancer. You may need to see your doctor to further diagnose the cause of the increased RBC count and AST/ALT levels.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA