x
154 Physicians Online

Question:

Elevation of the Liver Enzymes post Gall Bladder Removal

I recently had my gallblader out on Dec 7th 2010. I went to my PCP on Dec 31st where he did lab work a a flu swab, come to find out I had the flu also my liver enzyms were elevated. He wanted to see me back in 6 weeks to do more lab work and check liver enzymes. Today,Feb 16th 2011, the lab work showed that they have increased. What could cause this? Could it be the gallbladder removal?

Answer:

Gall bladder removal as such should not cause elevation of the liver enzymes, unless there has been a backlog of the bile in the ducts due to the GB disease, which is now, slowly being drained out, but this would show improvement in the successive test results. You may have developed liver infection or hepatitis, which may present with flu like symptoms. Another likely possibility is the injury to the common bile duct, that may be a side effect of the GB removal surgery. Onset of fever, jaundice and abnormal blood test results after the surgery may indicate the possibility of the injury to the common bile duct, and further surgery may be required for the correction of the problem.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.