Emergency pill and possibility of pregnancy

Q: Hello doc.. i have an irregular cycle.. (27-40days). my first day of last period was june 2, 2014.. i had sex on 27th evening and took postinor 2 1am on 28th and took the 2nd dose accordingly.. im worried that if my cycle is 40days ovulation might have occured on the 27th(the day i have activity)..is there a chance of me getting pregnant(which i dont want to right now)

A:   With cycles of more than 35 days, the chances that you are ovulating at all are low. It is not healthy to have infrequent menstrual cycles and such an irregular pattern needs to be investigated and treated.
In addition to this fact, you also took emergency contraceptive pills within the 72 hour interval. I think you have done all the right things and should not be stressed out about the possibility of a pregnancy.
The chances of failure of an emergency or morning after pill is less than 2 in 100. However, if you still feel stressed out about this, the best option is to do a home pregnancy test on the day of your expected period. You can follow the instructions on the pack and get tested yourself without any hassles.
If you are certain you do not want tp conceive at all at present, I suggest that you consider the option of regular contraceptive pills that offer you the dual benefit of regularizing your cycles as well as offering a success rate of nearly 99.9 % with correct usage.
Do visit a family planning clinic or a contraception counselor and discuss the options available to you and make an informed choice in this matter.