EMG (electromyography): Overview

Q: I,m 49. I,m having an E.M.G done what is that exsplan. thank you. I have Neuropathy.

A:   The EMG or Electromyography is a muscle-nerve test performed to determine basically 2 things: the muscles electrical activity and the conduction of the electrical impulses along the nerves. EMG may help to diagnose peripheral nerve compressions or injuries (like Carpal tunnel syndrome), nerve root compression or injury at the level of the spine (sciatica, discs hernias), and other less common conditions as: muscular dystrophies, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or Myasthenia gravis. May be you will experience some discomfort related to the needle insertion, they used disposable needles (very thin like the ones used in acupuncture) and small electrodes are placed on the skin, generally you will experience mild shocks. They may ask you to contract your muscles, and the technician will be monitoring this activity through a special screen and speakers during the test.This test needs no special preparation and may take approximately 30-60 minutes.