Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Empty Gestational Sac, 6 weeks Pregnant

Empty Gestational Sac, 6 weeks Pregnant

Patient: I thought i was 10 weeks pregnant but when i got a vaginal scan there was a only a gestational and yolk sac which was 6 wks 6 days but no fetal pole.the endometrial cavity also contained echogenic material.Now i have to return in 2 weeks to see if any progress is made.What are the chances of me still having a healthy pregnancy?

Doctor: It is difficult at this moment to say what chances are there for a viable pregnancy. Sometimes it may take serial ultras ounds to confirm a diagnosis. Sometimes an ultrasound will give uncertain results and repeat ultrasound is ordered. The wait for the repeated ultrasound can be emotionally very difficult, but it may be necessary in order to avoid a misdiagnosis. If the next ultrasound shows nothing in the sac, it is either a blighted ovum (which means a baby did not form, only the sac) or it is a pseudo sac (fake sac). I wish you well and do hope for a positive outcome.