Empty gestational Sac and Outcome

Q: I got ultasound from 2 days back showing i ve empty embryo sac and now im 5 weeks 2 days pregnant and that my 1st pregnacy also i got little brown discharge from 3 days back when im not in rest im so scared and worried my doctor ask me to come after 3 weeks to see in ultasound if there is heart beat or no i dont know what is my condition is it normal or facing somthing dangerous

A:   An empty gestational or embryo sac could be associated with miscarriage, abnormal karyotype of the fetus and other problem associated with the fetus. Frequently, this may be due to misjudging the dates. Sometimes it may take serial ultrasounds to confirm a diagnosis. Sometimes an ultrasound will give uncertain results and repeat ultrasound is ordered. The wait for the repeated ultrasound can be emotionally very difficult, but it may be necessary in order to avoid a misdiagnosis. You may even consult your doctor for quantitative HCG analysis. A rising level of HCG will indicate a viable pregnancy. If the next ultrasound shows nothing in the sac, it is either a blighted ovum (which means a baby did not form, only the sac) or it is a pseudo sac (fake sac). I wish you well and do hope for a positive outcome.