Enalapril to lower blood pressure

Patient

Q: How many weeks does it take for a daily does of 10mg of enalapril to lower blood pressure?

Symptoms:  Being taking 10 mg. daily of enalapril for 12 days with slight drop in blood pressure
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Enalapril is an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (ACE inhibitor) class of antihypertensive medication. The time it takes for enalapril to have therapeutic effect in lowering blood pressure, depends on your blood pressure, if you have any other medical conditions, if you have a history o renal disease, and your body's ability to absorb the medication.
In general, enalapril is quite fast acting with lowering blood pressure within 12 hours of taking the medication. In some patients, it can take up to two weeks to effectively work. If your blood pressure is not therapeutically lowered by two weeks, we recommend that you see your doctor to determine if your medication needs to be adjusted or changed in order to lower your blood pressure.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com