Encephalomalacia

Patient

Q: I have stroke from two years ago then i have dizzines and unbalance for a day i took ct scan and the result as follows:left occipital area of encephalomalacia left sided sclerotic skull base lesion is this normal? what should i do i m quite well now but i have dizness from time to time?

Doctor

A:   I understand how concerned you might be about the report from your CT scan. This area described as encephalomalacia and sclerosis is the area where you had your stroke.
These types of lesions usually suggest the presence of an older stroke. Ideally you should have a neurologic evaluation and also avoid hypertension and high cholesterol due to your history of cerebro- vascular accident. I wish you the best.