Endocrinolgy - Recurring Primary Hyperparathyroidism - now Hypoparathryoidism

Patient

Q: Dear Doctors.

Thank you for taking the time to read this question, the question is about my husband in 1989 he was diagnoised with a single parathyroid adeoma(top left)this was sucessfully removed in Australia whilst he was on a year long working holiday. In 2003 a routine blood test showed hypercalemia of 3.2 and he was admitted to our local hospital to receive drips of saline to reduce the amount of calcium and to have a second parathyroidectomy(lower left single adeoma). Then in 2009 again a routine blood test showed hypercalcemia of 2.9 and again he was admitted for a third parathyoidectomy this time upper right(single ademoa), his surgeon who had removed tumor number 2 in 2003 was the same guy that was planning surgery number 3 in 2009 - he suggested that he also remove the last parathyroid gland as he was certain that my husband would get another adeoma if the gland was left there. So in October 2009 Andrew had the adeoma and the normal gland removed as well as his thymus gland - he was severly hypocalecmic after the surgery - and has been suffering the effects ever since. He is now at 1.9 hypocalcemic and is suffering terrible "pins and needles" all over his body, mood swings, anxiety and depression. We have been seeing his endocrinologist every week for the past month as Andrew's calcium is going down each week - the meds he is taking are alphacalcidol 1mg and alphacalcidol 0.25microgam each day plus 100mg of betablockers(metrolpopol) and 4 x 500mg of calichew - He has had genentic testing and he does not have MEN 1 - Men 2a and b have not been tested for because he has never had a problem with this thyroid. So bascially the genetics doctors are leaning towards a diganosis of Familial isolated primary hyperparathyroidism - but this has yet to be proven. - So I was wondering if you have any ideas or examples of in any way he can be made to feel better as none of the endocrinologists in our hospital have seen a patient with Andrew's problem - the symptoms of his condition are making his life a misery and mine and our two children also - Any information that you could provide would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah

Doctor