Endometriosis

Patient: Hello, I am a 26 year old female, who have been suffering from long-term menstrual pains since I started my period at the age of 17. At the age of 18, ovarian cysts were discovered, and a laparascopy was performed to remove the cysts. I was immediately put on birth control pills. Still, I suffered from pain. My gyno assumed I had endometriosis due to the level of pain I was experiencing. Just recently, I decided to stop my birth control pill and start to deal with my health issues naturally by homeopathic remedies and herbal alternatives. Now, I am thinking of having the laparascopic procedure to identify IF I have endometriosis and if so to remove the tissue. Then, I could use remedies and alternative methods to prevent the buildup of the endometrial tissue; however, I am hesitant due to the possibility of the buildup of scar tissue. In my situation, what is the possibility of scar tissue causing me to become infertile? I understand there are other mediciations out there to prevent endometriosis; however, they have HORRIBLE side effects. Would this procedure cause a large amount of scar tissue? Any other advice on this situation? Thank you for your time!

Doctor: One of the benefits of laparoscopic surgery is that it is relatively less invasive than open surgery and as such tends t o have less scar tissue formation. However, there is no way to predict just how much scar tissue you will have! You should also be aware that endometriosis causing significant scar tissue just by the very nature of the condition. It also is associated with infertility. Endometriosis is notoriously difficult to treat but at present laparoscopic surgery offers the most effective treatment option. This surgical procedure offers a goad chance of pain relief as well as restoring fertility.