Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Enema at eight weeks gestation

Enema at eight weeks gestation

Patient: I am 8 weeks pregnant and did an enema last night because I have been constipated for the past few weeks. After I did the enema I heard it copuld cause a miscarriage if done during the first trimester. What are the chances of a miscarriage if only done once and will my baby be ok?

Doctor: Constipation is a common problem in pregnancy and some expectant women have been known to use enemas during pregnancy. A lthough there is an increased risk of miscarriage if an enema is done during the first trimester, the actual chances of miscarriage is very difficult to tell. If you experience any pain lower abdomen or blood in discharge, you need to see your doctor immediately.A good way to deal with the constipation during pregnancy that often accompanies pregnancy is to increase the amount of fiber in your diet. This is a long term solution to constipation. Add bran to your diet – have it in porridge or in a muffin. Include plenty of raw vegetables and fruits as these are a rich source of fiber. Prune juice is beneficial too. Psyllium husk is a good natural laxative to use