Enlarged red blood cells what could this mean?, and how will it affect future pregnancies

Q: Hi, i have had 6 miscarriages all ending before 12 weeks and in the middle a troublesome pregnancy which went to 38 weeks with a healthy baby at the end of it , but i have just been told that i have some enlarged red blood cells and i have to have some more blood tests to check my vitamins, what treatments could i be at looking at if it is somethin to do with my vitamins? and how will it affect future pregnancies? also if it is not caused by my vitamins what else could it be? thanks miss groves age 30

A:   The cause of your enlarged blood cells could be due to a condition known as Megaloblastic anemia. In this condition, the redblood cells enlarge and their ability of carry oxygen is decreased. This condition may be caused due to vitamin B12 deficiency, folate deficiency and pernicious anemia. The treatment options you may be looking at at are Vit B12 or folate tablets or injectables in case of pernicious anemia.
There is a possibility that your anemia may be causing you to have spontaneous miscarriages, because the fetus receives your blood in utero through the placenta, any deficiency in your blood cells will definitely have an impact on the fetus. There are many causes of spontaneous abortions, medications, Immunological conditions like SLE, Hypothryroidism and Hyperthyroidism, Smoking, alcohol, drugs all may cause miscarriages. It is very important to have a complete examination done to determine the cause and avoid future miscarriages.