Enlarged tonsils, short of breath during sports

Q: Hello,
I have enlarged tonsils on both sides of my mouth. I went to a doctor already, he took a look at it and asked me if I have trouble breathing or sleeping. I told him I really don't. At that time he did not suggest to go to a surgery to have them removed.
My question however is that since the enlarged tonsils, about a year ago, I noticed a difficulty in breathing when playing sports. Is it possible? I have been accounting it to me gaining weight in past year, I gained about 30 pounds, but now I am not so sure. I am 27, 6'1", 210 pounds and overall in good health. Is it possible the enlarged tonsils make my breathing difficult when running long distances and playing sports?
Thank you.