Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Enthesitis Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

Enthesitis Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

Patient: My niece was recently dianogsed with EMPHASITIS (Spelling ?) and I am not able to find much on line about this disease. Can you please explain it or possibly provide some sites addresses where such informaiton could be obtained?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Enthesitis is the inflammation of the entheses. The Entheses is a connective tissue that co nnects ligaments/tendons to bones. This condition usually occurs in the joints, specifically the hips, knees, and ankles. This can cause swelling and pain of joint, and decreased mobility, and stiffness. This can be observed in persons suffering autoimmune diseases that affects the joints such as ankylosing spondylitis or arthritis. In children or young adolescents, this can be observed to occur concomitantly with juvenile arthritis. This is referred to as Enthesitis Arthritis. This can be diagnosed with a thorough physical exam along with diagnostic testing. There is also an immune marker, HLA-B27 which can be detected within the blood and is associated with patients who have Ethesitis. Treatment of this disease involved treating the symptoms with anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy, and in more severe cases, immune suppressing medications. For more detailed information on this condition you can view more about it on the following website: http://enthesitis.orgThank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com