Eosinophilic Oesophagitis - is it allergies?

Patient

Q: Hey My little boy is 2 and since birth has not been able to have milk or lactose. It took the doctors about 6 months to diagnose an allergy. At about 11 months he was weaned onto food gradually and started to display symptoms like previously when consuming egg, soya, wheat and oats. The symptoms were: -sickness and diahorrea -swelling and puffiness to the eyes and lips -A rash, hives and a diiscolouration and mottled look to the skin -compulsive sweating -His stools become like tar with a foul smell -becomes very irratic: hyper then sleepy and lathargic He has had a skin prick test but the results came back negative yet within 24 hours these symptoms appear. He has citrizine and his consultant has put him on it to take twice a day. He is also continuously ill with infections one after the other and losing underweight. The consultant mentioned a condition also related to allergies which she called EO. We arent sure what this is and if you have any more ideas to what could be wrong as we are desperate for answers? Appreciate your help Thankyou

Doctor

A:   EO refers to a condition called Eosinophilic Oesophagitis - an inflammatory condition of the esophagus, in which the eosinophils, a type of white blood cells that are significant in allergic reactions, are raised and infiltrate the walls of the esophagus causing allergic reactions to food items speciaaly cow’s milk, soy, wheat, egg. There is a possibility for your son to grow out of this condition as his immune system and tolerance changes, or it may become a chronic condition where diet changes and restrictions along with medications may help prevent relapses.