Epicanthal folds

Q: Good morning,
I have epicanthal folds because I'm half Asian, but I do not look exotic at all.
I do not want monolids, I know there is no surgery to get them.
I would like to hold a surgery to accentuate my epicanthal folds and lift my outside eye corner up, so I can look more Asian.
Thank you very much!

A:   Thank you for your question.

This is an unusual request as the vast majority of patients wish to have surgery to decrease the asian appearance of their eyelids. Unfortunately, without a photograph it is difficult to assess the physical anatomy of your eyelids and to provide any objective advice. That being said, there are procedures to lift the outside corner of the eye (lateral canthus), that are predominantly used for supporting the lower eyelid. A lateral canthopexy, is an operation in which the outside corner of the eye is lifted vertically and secured to the underlying bone of the eye socket. Many plastic surgeons include this procedure as a standard part of their eyelid procedure. I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon who specializes in blepharoplasty in your area for consideration of this surgery.

Good Luck