Episode of numbness in my arms and fingers one year ago and now ocurring again

Q: Hello. I've been getting numbness in my arms and fingers on both my left and my right. It first happened to me maybe about a year ago, but that would go and come. But now after having my second baby, who is 6months now, the numbness ha worsened. Mostly my left hand gets numb the most, and when that happens I would have to rest it by just laying my arm flat next to me. But also my right leg is also becoming numb too. This is the 2nd time this happens. I went to my gp and he just gave me vitamins which helped me abit but I dot think thats my problem. What should I do? I'm worried.

A:    There are multiple causes of numbness of the extremities (arm-hands and leg-feet), from: vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12), nerve compressions at the level of the cervical spine , problems with the peripheral nerves of hands and feet, autiimmune roblems (as for example Multiple Sclerosis) and metabolic causes as problems with the Thyroid gland and Diabetes. I recommend you to get a reevaluation  with your doctor , once that your physician has ruled out the vitamin deficiency in order to review some other causes like spinal nerve compressions, peripheral nerve problems ,thyroid problems, might be important to rule out also some other metabolic causes as Diabetes, which can produce the symptoms that you described above.