x
69 Physicians Online

Question:

Episodes of back pain since last year

Hi, I am a 26 years old male and working as an IT. I have this back pain since last year. It all started after I underwent an appendectomy operation. Every time I encounter this back pain, I have this slight fever and I felt some heaviness that makes my body lazy and I cant even sleep on a proper position. I consult to a Pulmonary Doctor the last time I feel this pain, she requested for a chest X- ray, and the final findings was normal. She added for a chest CT scan in order to see the exact condition of my lungs. But I refuse to do so, due to financial instability. That was just a month ago. For now, I still feel this back pain and for what reason I cant really explain the main cause behind this pain I had. I hope you can help me. I will patiently wait for your feedback. Thank You and God Bless.

Answer:

Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Here some useful measures: keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back. Standing: While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time, and the most important: keep your weight under control, because overweight suppose overstress to the spine, especially the lumbar segment.If after practicing to the word the mentioned recommendations you still have the pain I strongly recommend an evaluation by an Orthopedic Surgeon or Spine specialist.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.