Episodes of Lower back pain in a young woman

Q: Hi last year i bent over to adjust my dogs collar i felt a very weird movement in my lower back,this wasnt painful but was uncomfortable,the next day i could hardly move this lasted about 2 weeks then dissapaired but about 4 month after this had happened i started to get a pain in my back if i walked to far or stood still doing like say washing the pots a year on im in agony i only go out when i absolutly have to ive put on a considerable amount of weight becouse of this,when i went to my doctor he did a basic check hes done this twice now but he cannot find anything wrong and told me to loose weight,would appriciate your oppinion on this greatly

A:    Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation this seems to be your case. The treatment strategy usually includes a physical therapy program aimed to: keep the weight under control, if you are overweight, because the overweight suppose additional stress to the lumbar spine, control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. You may keep taking anti inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) and follow these general recommendations: sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase your comfort, lying on your back with a pillow under the knees. If the pain persists after making the changes in your habits, postures and lifestyle, attend to the physical therapy program it is strongly recommended that you get a comprehensive evaluation by an Orthopedic surgeon to rule out more serious conditions that may be producing the pain.