Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Episodes of severe low back muscles spasms

Episodes of severe low back muscles spasms

Patient: I have had these sharp, shooting, and burning all at once sensation in my lower back randomly over the years. It has happened about 7 or 8 times in about 4 years. I will just be walking or sitting in a chair or doing anything really and i will immediately collapse to the ground and cant move for about a minute then the pain goes away. if anyone could please help me with this that would be great.

Doctor: Sometimes after extreme or inadequate movements a person may experience muscle spasms. Muscle spasms usually cause a te emporary nuisance and typically resolve on their own without treatment. When muscle cramp or spasm continually recurs, it is time to seek an evaluation by a physician. The primary treatment of muscle spasms involves methods to relax the affected muscle. This typically involves stretching, massage, and heat application. Other treatments are directed toward the underlying cause of the muscle spasm and can include rehydration, electrolyte repletion, hormone treatment, calcium supplementation. Most spasms can be stopped if the involved muscle can be stretched.