Equated methylprednisolone with prednisone and need advice

Q: I am an asthma patient with a respiratory infection. My doctor prescribed antibiotics and prednisone. I was to take 40 mg prednisone today, 30 tomorrow, 20 the next day and 10 the last day. Instead, I had an older Rx of methyprednisolone and thought it was the same thing as prednisone. I took 40 mg of metylprednisolone today. I have discovered the two drugs are not the same. Can I switch over to the 30 mg of prednisone tomorrow without a problem? I have additional pills of both drugs available. I am worried I have taken too much at 40 mg of methylprednisolone. Thank you for your help.

Symptoms:  Symptoms: wheeze, sinus headache, some coughing, low energy

A:   Thank you for your question.

Medication mix ups can be fatal andd it is good to dispose of used medications at your local pharmacy.

Luckily, both medications are used in asthma flareups.

Assuming you have no other chronic medical conditions and no adrenal health issues, taking the prescribed prednisone dose of 40mg tommorow should be adequate and then taper from there.

5 day course of steroids are considered safe for your condition.