September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Erectile Dysfunction and Diabetes

Erectile Dysfunction and Diabetes

Patient: I m 30 male(married) a type 2 diabetic person.My diabetic is under control (fasting 105 & PP 160).From past one week i m suffering from erectile dysfunction..what should i do???

Symptoms: Erectile dysfunction

Doctor: Thank you for writing to ATD.The association between ED and Diabetes has been subjected to quite a lot of research a nd newer agents have been found that are useful to treat ED in Diabetic population. The MMAS (Massachusetts Male Aging Study) was the first major epidemiological investigation to study the prevalence of ED. The study found that ED was three times more common in patients with diabetes mellitus. The etiopathogenesis of ED in diabetes is multifactorial, with vascular and neural factors being equally implicated. Hyperglycaemia is believed to give rise to biochemical perturbations that lead to these microvascular changes. In the MMAS, ED in diabetes was strongly correlated with glycaemic control, duration of disease and diabetic complications. The incidence increased with increasing age, duration of diabetes and deteriorating metabolic control, and was higher in individuals with type 2 diabetes than those with type 1. Please do not worry about it. Have your doctor examine you. Maintaining good glycemic control is important. Your doctor can offer several new treatments for ED. For many men, the answer is as simple as taking a pill. Getting more exercise, losing weight, or stopping smoking may also help.